First Mog Adventure

Trip Report 199604

Back to Bill Caid's Home Page

The Experience

We had our mog only a few months and were itching to take it wheeling.  A fellow, Kai, spotted us in the neighborhood and came by to introduce himself.  We hit it off immediately and became fast friends.  He had a 406 mog and we would later go on many, many great trips with him and the other moggers.

The photos below are what we saw. These are scans of chemical photos.

Kai located us by driving around the neighborhood until he saw the 1300.  Then he came in to introduce himself.  He had a 406 that he had rebuilt from 2 scrapped trucks.

A very young Kai with his 406 and huge 16.00R20 tires.

Soon after meeting Kai we decided to do a trip to the desert (by ourselves) and went through Oroflamme Canyon down to Shelter Valley.

From Shelter Valley we headed toward the Pinyon Mountains and the Pinyon Mountain drop-off.

The 1300 was way too big to fit through the squeeze, so we parked it on the uphill side and checked things out on foot.  You can judge the size relative to Kathleen.

Looking uphill into the squeeze.  This is considered a one-way trail.

Just down hill from the squeeze is a steep side canyon.

A bit further down the trail is a rock that frequently takes out rear windows.

We finally got to the top of the Pinyon Mountain Drop-off.  The local four wheelers call this "Heart Attack Hill" and it is indeed steep.  Despite the fact that the holes in the trail are filled in with boulders, the holes will put you in danger of rolling your rig as you descend.  The fellows at the bottom of the hill had come in the long way from Fish Creek canyon, which as it turns out is the only way out.

The dirt is soft and this is generally thought of as a one-way trip.  That said, several years later, I did go up this hill in the 1300.  It was steep and scary.  Above, Kathleen walks down the hill showing how steep it is.

I doubt that those boulders would do much good upon the descent.  And they surely would hurt your chances of going up the hill.

On the way back from our first mog outing, my air compressor failed.  I had to take the truck to Freightliner to get it replaced.  Meanwhile as we were preparing another camping trip, we decided to take our Ford F250 because the mog was out of action.  Mark decided to leave his 404 at home and take his Toyota.  Above a mountain biker came upon us as Mark was addressing cooling issues.

Mark is the cooling problem guy.  On the last trip his 404 had issues.  This trip it was his FJ-40.  Kathleen was just sitting in the shade looking pretty.

We finally gave up and decided to tow the Toyota.

I rode with Mark while being towed and he ran over a huge rattlesnake.  The snake flipped up over my head and I thought it had landed in the back of the Toyota.  I was busy soiling my shorts when we discovered that it had actually gone over the back and we were safe.

I felt compelled to lift it up.

This was a pretty big rattlesnake.  It would have caused big trouble if it had bitten me.

Because of the mechanical issues, Mark returned to his tow vehicle and then back to LA.  Kathleen prepared a turkey breast, squash, potatoes and carrots in the dutch oven.

This was a great trip despite Mark's mechanical issues.  And, I was really glad that snake did not land in the rear of the truck underneath my seat.  The air compressor on the mog was fixed a few days later and their repair would last for the next 15 years until the custom hose they fabricated finally gave up on Vancouver Island in Canada.

Back to Bill Caid's Home Page

 Copyright Bill Caid, 2013